Bristol Temple Meads had opened for passenger services as early as 1840, yet similar plans for the movement of freight were slow to emerge.
Despite Bristol being a maritime city, there was no rail connection between Temple Meads and the city docks until the opening of the Bristol Harbour Railway in 1872. The people behind the venture and connections to the North Somerset coal field will be discussed. The walk itself will start behind Temple Meads station and follow the route of the line to the harbour.
The strange obstacles that had to be overcome and the remains of the route will be described. It will finish at the Fairbairn steam crane on the quayside at Wapping Wharf, near M Shed.
M Shed, BS1 4RN
Accessible by public transport, Accessible toilets, Booking essential, Buggy friendly, Dogs on leads welcome, Family friendly, Frequent rest stops, Mobility scooter friendly, Refreshments available to purchase, Toilets, Visually impaired friendly, Wheelchair friendly.