We encourage mums, dads, grandparents, uncles, aunties, guardians and carers to all walk to school together.
Bristol City Council has a number of free initiatives, sessions and resources available to Bristol schools promoting active and healthy ways to travel. Your school can take advantage of these opportunities through the Modeshift STARS scheme.
What is Modeshift STARS?
Modeshift STARS is a free national awards scheme, supported by Department of Transport, that recognises schools showing excellence in the promotion of walking, cycling and other forms of sustainable transport.
By taking part in Modeshift STARS, schools can take an active approach to reduce congestion, improve road safety and air quality around their school as well as improve mental and physical health for their pupils.
Schools can achieve their Bronze, Silver or Gold award by logging a number of active travel activities online. Bristol City Council offers a wide range of resources, workshops and support, most of which is free of charge!
Bristol benefits include:
- Nationally recognised accreditation scheme – accredited schools receive a plaque, certificate and are able to use the STARS logo.
- Healthier pupils – by encouraging active, healthy lifestyles for young people through more walking, scooting and cycling.
- School Travel Plan – a national standard School Travel Plan is automatically created, which will deliver significant time and cost savings.
- Free resources and sessions – tailored to each school, run by our School Active Travel Officer.
- Travel Awards – a chance to be considered for the National STARS School Travel Awards.
- Changing behaviour – STARS will provide you with the tools to reduce car use and increase active travel for a happier, healthier school.
If your school would like to get involved and take advantage of these opportunities, email email@example.com or call 07901 115276.
Source: Bristol City Council